Us grownups spend a lot of time at our desks. Did you know that about 95% of your working day is spent sitting down? But, the popularity of standing desk solutions is on the rise (pun intended).
So what’s the big deal about standing vs. sitting? Sitting down for extended periods of time (like for 95% of your work day) can cause lower back pain, low blood circulation and less oxygen to your muscles which causes soreness, fatigue and cramping. Oh my. Did you know that standing for just 2 hours of your day can burn up to 340 calories? Sign me up! (Incase you were doing the math, a Snickers bar only has 250 calories…) Standing desks also increase productivity because you don’t have to halt working to walk around to get the blood flowing. You just stand up and continue the task(s) at hand.
At Houseworks, we genuinely search out the best products for our customers. We like a nice quality piece that is easy on the eyes. We rejoiced when we started carrying this particular brand.
Are you sitting down? Meet the Float Desk by Humanscale. Let me touch on some key points for you to sum up the reason we carry this particular desk:
- One squeeze of a lever easily raises and lowers this desk. It glides like butter and locks into place (AKA, you won’t spill your coffee raising it up). No electric required. Just good ol’ physics and a simple design.
- It’s here for the long haul. Because this baby is made mostly of recycled steel, it’s very durable.
- It comes in adjustable widths and depths
- Available in a variety of different base and top colors to match any office decor
- The simple design has only legs on the sides…. which means you’re free to kick your legs out and get cozy while you kick your To Do List’s butt.
We also have another standing desk option if you’re in the market for a different style. This Sequel Wall Desk from BDI is a bit more permanent since it is fixed to the wall by a simple mounting bracket. You can pick the height you want it but no moving it around unless you’re really speedy at patching drywall. With this beauty, if you wanted to sit down at your stand-up desk, you’d just get a counter-height chair. Lucky for you we have a nice selection of those too! And it easily stores your mess-of-cords behind the wall panel that easily pops off for quick access.
Our office furniture is on our second level. Pop in to the store and take a peek.